Saturday 1 August 2009

Employment

So basically, over this summer my main plan was to have a job that wasn't at my parents post office, mainly because I hate that place, but also because I wanted bar experience ready for when I go back to uni. So I applied for a fair amount of jobs online, and around town but with no luck due to them already having hired all of their summer staff. I got a phone call a few weeks later from Metros offering me a job flyering with the possibility of bar work in a few weeks. I jumped at the chance, it was one of the places I really wanted to work! I forgot to ask on the phone what the pay is, but assumed it would be average, maybe a bit more because I'd heard flyering was well paid.

So I started the same day, flyering from 9:30pm until further notice, it was really cool being shown around the bar and things inside and everyone was really nice so I was psyched to work there! When I started flyering I some faces on their way to metros... all the while basically waiting in the hope that they'd call us in to help inside. While flyering I took the oppourtunity to ask the bloke I was flyering with what the pay was, £4.77 an hour... I figured I could be fine with that if I enjoyed the job. 2 hours later at 11:30 the manageress rang us and told us to come back to help because it was packed, what I'd been waiting for! So we went back, and I got told to pick up pint glasses and return them to the bar, so I did this. Back and forth, each time taking about 10 minutes and only getting about 3 glasses each time due to people only drinking double mixers and using a smaller glass.

From about midnight the heat of metros had started to get to me, I was feeling very thirsty. I tried to put it off, thinking it'd be fine, and that I'd wait for a break or until I finished (bearing in mind they hadn't told me when this would be). About an hour an a half of traipsing up and down that fucking scorching corridor I started to get desperate for water and feel dehydrated, so i went up to the door where a person I knew-ish was working and I asked her where to ask for water and she confusingly answered back with "you might be able to try at the bar.... maybe". So i went to the bar, to ask for a drink, only to be confronted by someone shout back at me "NO, FUCKING WORK" intimidated and not wanting to cause any sort of scene or problem I tried to carry on working.

A little later I got bumped into and felt like I was going to collapse, I then asked my friend Jo who was there if she could get a drink of water for me next time she was at the bar. When I next saw her she was there with the water and a grin, I was so freaking happy. I went up to her and proceeded to down the water, half way through this I got a tap on the shoulder from my boss and heard "Get out." at this point I realised that the water must have looked like vodka lemonade, I replied with "No its water!! look! taste some!", she didnt look impressed. She replied with "Whatever, just work faster! this isnt a place to make friends!" I waited until she was gone and drank the rest. I got down to the bottom of Metros and had the sudden realisation that if I was going to quit anyway, then why don't I walk out now? So I did.

Its strange how most of the best nights of my life have been there, and also the worst night.

I now work at the post office. Its not easy is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment